Find out if Smile Direct Club is right for you
Dr. Ben Fong is a platinum Invisalign provider in Ottawa and has developed this informational website to provide the pros and cons of Smile Direct Club.
Smile Direct Club Pros and Cons
What Is Smile Direct Club?
SmileDirectClub provides you a series of plastic trays/aligners custom designed and sent to you by mail. You’ll wear these aligners as instructed to get the smile you want at the comfort of your own home. The cost is the same regardless of the difficulty of treatment. The process is as follows:
Start by getting an assessment online through the SmileDirectClub to see if your smile qualifies for the treatment. Once you do qualify (99% of people do) they will need to have a 3D image of your teeth, and two options are available for this process. The first method is an at-home kit to create a mold of your teeth, which is send to you from SmileDirectClub. The other option is to have a scan of your smile at a SmileDirectClub in your city.
Once your mold or image is received, a licensed dentist or orthodontist will review it and determine if their treatment is right for you.
- If you qualify for SmileDirectClub treatment (99% of clients do), they will send you a preview of your new smile showing how your smile will change to the result you want. The treatment plan will typically last about six months on average.
- All your aligners will arrive through the mail in one shipment with all the instructions on the wear and care of the product. The aligners are worn the same way that you would with Invisalign aligners.
When the treatment is completed, retainers are needed at an additional cost to hold your teeth in their new positions.
Smile Guarantee; If your aligners aren’t the right fit for you, they will refund your impression kit or SmileShop scan. If you’re unhappy with your aligners within the first 30 days, return them for a refund.
Note: all information provided above are step provided by Smile Direct Club website and may not be accurate as claimed.
What are the Pros?
What are the Cons?
- SmileDirectClub or smilelove simple cases can have a good result initial result, but long-term stability cannot last without proper consideration to achieve an ideal bite. Mail order aligners cannot achieve these goals as there is no proper assessment by a qualify dentist to examine the result.
SmileDirectClub or smilelove do not consider the need to level the incisal tips of the teeth to create an even cosmetic smile. Invisalign will finish the case accordingly to compensate the chipped or uneven incisal edges to be level upon completion of the treatment.
Difficult and complicated cases will fail because of the lack of special attachments used (Invisalign specialize in this modality) to facilitate rotational, eruption and intrusion movements.
- SmileDirectClub or smilelove would correct crowding by flaring the teeth forward which will create a “buck teeth like effect”. Proper treatment planning should include minor enamel reduction to reduce the size of the teeth which helps to improve the appearance, broader contact (creates stability) and ideal positioning of the teeth over the arch size of the jaw.
SmileDirectClub or smilelove would close spaces in the front of the mouth by bring the teeth back (toward the back of the throat, thus making the mouth smaller) without consideration of the lower teeth position. This will create an interference with the lower teeth. Once the treatment is finished, the spaces will come back unless the aligners are worn 24/7 for the rest of the patient’s life.
- Retainers are only reliable if the patient’s teeth remain exact the same forever. This is unlikely and proper follow through should be done and proper advice given that can only be offered professionally by a qualified Invisalign dentist.
300,000 Smile Direct Club Patients Worldwide
Over 6 Million Invisalign Patients Worldwide
19th Feb2019Poor fittings and long delays
Calgary, ABI experienced long delays and a poor fitting. The customer service is terrible – each person I spoke to said something different. I don’t trust this company anymore.
18th Jan2019Horrible customer service
TorontoI signed up after I was provided excellent customer service by SmileDirect but now that I’m signed up I haven’t gotten any attention. I’ve been searching if others have had this problem too, and it appears it’s not uncommon. This is a big red flag.
07th Jan2019Impression Kit is horrible
SeattleI was sold on this service after speaking to the sales team but now i'm not so sure! I tried the impressions kit at home and I wasn't able to get any good impressions. I was told I need to re-order another kit but i've already spent $50. So far, I'm not happy with the service I've been receiving and it looks like I'm not the only one with this issue.
About Smile Direct Club Reviews
I am Dr. Ben Fong, a 1983 University of Toronto graduate and a platinum Invisalign provider for the last 16 years. I have treated over 1400 cases of Invisalign and thousands of conventional braces in my 25 years of Orthodontic practice. In this past year, Smile Direct Club along with the lesser known mail order aligner companies such as Snap Correct and Smile Love has been aggressively marketing its product to the general public in Canada. This has been happening since Invisalign, the original aligner company has 40 of its patents expired in 2017.
I have decided to develop this website to introduce some important factual information on these latest smile fad companies that are truly questionable. I feel there is much more to getting that perfect smile than moving the visible portion of a person’s teeth. We must make sure that anything we do in a patient’s mouth is for the best interest of the patient’s health and safety. Receiving something by mail to create a life time change in a person’s appearance is not very assuring in any sense of reality. I have chosen Smile Direct Club since it represents basically the same theme as the other mail order aligner companies.
Contact Dr. Ben Fong if you have any questions:
Write a Review for SmileDirectClub
Share your details about your experience with SmileDirectClub and help others make an informed decision.